After making these homemade bacon baked beans, you will never serve baked beans from a can to your family or guests ever again.
Soak time: 6 hours
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours
Portion: Around 24 normal portions or 12 for big eaters like yours truly.
8 cups of dried white Beans
Water to soak
4 big diced red onions
1 cup of bacon fat (this recipe can also be done using the fat from the foie gras of duck, never throw away the bacon fat! Keep it in a pot, freeze it and reuse!)
1 Pack of bacon strips cut into bits of around 1 cm x 2 cm
2 cups of Ketchup
1 1/4 cups of Molasses
3/4 cup of Brown Sugar
1/4 cup of Balsamic Vinegar
2 tsp of Dried Mustard
2 tsp of Salt
Add Pepper to taste
- Place your beans in a big cooking pot and cover them with room temperature water for about 6 hours or overnight as can be seen here:
- Drain your beans but keep the soaked water!
- Preheat your oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Now mix in all the ingredients into the pot with the beans and add the soaked water with the pepper.
- Now add cold water to cover about 2 inches over the beans.
- Bring it all to a boil.
- Take it off the stove top, cover it and shove it into the oven for about 8 hours. After every hour, take out your pot and stir it all delicately. Your final product should resemble this:
- Enjoy these 8 hours by opening your windows and make your neighbors jealous of how amazing your homemade bacon baked beans smell.
Freeze the leftovers and enjoy later, or bring them to family members and show them how skillful you are in the kitchen.