For a chowder without any butter or cream to takeaway your guilt from eating such a delight without taking away from the amazing taste and texture, try this recipe. Can be applied to all cream based soups.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Portion: 4 normal people or 2 big eaters like yours truly.
2 diced Garlic Cloves
1 diced big Red Onion
2 diced medium size Yukon Gold Potato
8 Cherry Tomatoes
1/4 cup of chopped Green Onions
1/4 cup of fresh Cilantro Leaves
1 tbsp of saffron
2 cups of Fish or Chicken stock
2 cups of Milk
2 tbsp of Corn Starch
2 tbsp of Olive Oil
3 Tilapia Filets cut in Cubes
1 tbsp of Sambal Oelek Red Pepper Paste (or Sriracha)
Add Salt and Pepper to taste
- Prepare all of your ingredients like so:
- In a pot, add the Olive Oil and turn the heat on.
- Brown the onions on high heat until they become translucent.
- Add the garlic and continue cooking for an additional 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and stir for about 1 minute.
- Deglaze the bottom of the pot with the Fish or Chicken Stock.
- Bring to a boil and lower to medium heat, then let simmer for around 10 minutes.
- Now add the Saffron and the Sambal Oelek, let simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Next we add our Tilapia and let simmer for another 5 minutes or until the fish is tender and gets a nice color.
- Now we add the milk and the corn starch.
- Stir well and let the corn starch thicken your milk.
- Add Salt and Pepper
- Add the cilantro, the green onions and the tomatoes onto the soup to fill it with amazingly fresh flavours.
This healthy version of the fish chowder will warm you up as well as make you discover succulant flavours and textures.